Thursday Thought — Resource Highlight: Domestic Abuse Training for (busy) Pastors
We want to draw attention to a training resource for pastors and church leaders: Domestic Abuse Training for (busy) Pastors: An outline for self-directed learners. This resource was created by Barbara Roberts and can be found on our Resources page under the subheading Training Materials. This PDF is an excellent introduction to a biblical response to domestic abuse — a topic that most seminaries fail to address.
The Table of Contents includes
- A word about secular resources
- Understanding abusers
- Be prepared for the ‘yuck factor”
- Understanding and responding to victim/survivors
- Making abusers accountable and behaviour change programs
- Understanding the situation of children
- Understanding Risk and Making Safety Plans
- Couple Counselling?
- Understanding what the Bible says about Domestic Abuse:
- Submission and Headship
- Protection Orders — can you take a brother to court?
- Separation and Divorce
- The Mandate of the Church
- Church Programs and Policies